Stichting Stadsgidsengilde Woudrichem provides (among other things) guided tours through the Woudrichem fortress.
About 15 very experienced and enthusiastic guides / volunteers, who mostly live in Woudrichem all their lives, take care of the guided tours.
The guided tours always have a personal theme, but always tell about the past and present of the fortress and its inhabitants.
Topics they tell about are:
- the monumental buildings
- the relationship with the Dutch Waterline
- the history of river fishing
- the fortifications
- the city and fishing rights
This foundation aims to:
- managing and maintaining the location in the municipality of Woudrichem located on the dammed Meuse, at the location of the landing of the foot ferry to Loevestein.
- managing and maintaining the pedestrian ferry, as well as taking care of the transfers over the river to the landfall for Loevestein.
- managing and maintaining a limited catering facility.
- On request, round trips can be arranged for groups during the weekend.
- The cruise can consist of a tour on the dammed Meuse and can be extended with a walk in one of the nature reserves (De Waarden of Munnikenland at Slot Loevestein or De Waarden at Poederooyen).
- Prices on request, depending on group size and execution, possibly with or without a well-groomed picnic.
Vereniging tot Behoud van de Zalmschouw
De Vereniging tot Behoud van de Zalmschouw (VBZ) is a conservation organization for authentic Dutch river fishing vessels. In fact, all sailing monuments. Just like the buildings in the Netherlands that fall under monument protection, we are currently working hard to also classify Dutch mobile heritage and register it as monuments.
Tour with the DD13
Would you like to sail with the boat (alone or with company). What about the DD13? An original fish collector, renovated and a beauty to see.
Coöperatieve Visserijvereniging De Hoop
Korenmolen Nooit Gedagt
On 21 April 1945, in the aftermath of the war, the mill was blown up by the German troops. In 1981 the board of the Fishery and Cultural History Museum suggested the idea of rebuilding the mill (The only 8-sided masonry flour mill in the Netherlands!). The rebuilding started on 5 May 1990. The masonry of the octagonal hull was completed in 1992, including floors, stairs and scaffolding. On 28 April 1995 millmaker Straver from Almkerk placed the hood on it. In 1995 the mill was completed in a grinding fashion.
Definitely worth a visit and buy something tasty in the miller's shop. All sorts of delicacies, as well as doughs for self-baking!
Historische Stadshaven Woudrichem
The original harbour of Woudrichem clogged centuries ago and eventually became a playground and recreational beach. Because the water in the rivers in 1995 rose to a threatening height, engineers from Rijkswaterstaat came up with a plan to give the rivers space in a wider bed. The Hoogheemraadschap Alm and Biesbosch then came up with the luminous idea of deepening and re-digging the former harbour of Woudrichem, in order to provide space for the river during 'high water'. The old harbour from before 1750 was mapped and the plans could be made. An asphalted walking / cycling path around the harbour was constructed and floating jetties for the passers-by was built. Since then, the historic harbour has accommodated 10 large, inhabited, traditional ships. There was also an outdoor museum with a jetty, in which the shocker Janus, the Gallows and a number of Woerkum salmon boats have found a place. The historic shipyard was accomplished with the help of a European subsidy. In addition, a working port with a historic working shed, a traditional hoisting boom and a boat ramp with a capstan. Owners of historic vessels can carry out small maintenance jobs here. In addition, the port will once again accommodate around 20 passers-by.
During our typical Woerkum parties and events, such as fishing days, demonstrations are given at the shipyard in nets knitting and fines, making masts, woodcarving and the like.
De haven bij zonsondergang
Janihudi - Bas van Straten
Bas* was a son of Bertus van Straten, Bertus was a brother of the founder Jan jr. And one of the shareholders of the ferry service. Bas had been collecting information about the JANIHUDI 1 through the Janihudi 9 since 1955. There is probably no Woerkummer that has never sailed with one of these ferries.
The page veerdienstjanihudi.nl gives a nice picture of these prized ferries.
* Woudrichem 20 November 1939; † Dongen 2 Juli 2010